Wilcox issue warning after online scare
Since the pandemic began, there has been a 300% increase in reported cybercrimes*; here at Wilcox, we recently discovered one of our customers and long-standing friends had a terrible experience, writes Wilcox Limousines managing director Jade Wilcox Webb.
After being reassured by our IT security team that no hack or data breach took place within Wilcox and ensuring we warned our database of more than 3,000 contacts, I have been researching cybersecurity.
Did you know that only 5% of companies' folders are properly protected? And while 95% of cybersecurity breaches are caused by human error, these are entirely preventable?
Whilst we are relieved there was no data breach from our perspective, we are devastated for our customer and wanted to warn others to be on high alert.
Here's my top tips for staying safe online:
• Create strong passwords, at least 8 characters in length, including a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters
• Use a password manager such as LastPass or Dashlane to stop one hack being able to access all of your accounts
• Invest in a virtual private network (VPN) if you travel or use free wi-fi, ensuring your data is encrypted and protected, rather than unsecured
• One of the best defences against viruses, malware, and other online threats is ensuring your software, web browser versions etc are up to date
• Watch out for phishing scams, which use fraudulent emails and websites to trick users into disclosing private account or login information. Do not click on links or open any attachments or pop-up screens from sources you are not familiar with.
• A firewall is essential for businesses, even if your network is secure. This electronic barrier ensures all of the devices connected to your network are secured, including Internet of Things (IoT) devices like smart thermostats and webcams. This is important since many IoT devices aren't equipped with security measures, giving hackers a vulnerable point of entry to your entire network.
Further support and information can be requested via Wilcox's friendly team on 01942 259 860 or email@example.com .
Get more with a subscription.
Everything you need to know in the funeral industry. Get much more with a subscription to FSJ, from just £2.42 per month.